Re: TI-H: off topic

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: off topic

>I would like to be able to power my notebook off of my cigarette
>lighter in my car. The computer's power supply is 12 v and at 2.2
>amps. I would like the power supply to have some sort of filter
>to prevent any higher amperage from hitting the PC. If anyone can
>help, please e-mail me.

Are you speaking about the power brick that plugs into AC?

If not, I assume that you're talking about the supply requirements
leading directly to the laptop.  If this is so, then first of all, you
wouldn't want to directly connect the cigarette lighter terminals to
the input of your laptop, for relatively obvious reasons.  Second, the
laptop will ONLY draw the amount of current it needs, and your car
cannot physically give more amps than the laptop is "requesting."
It's straight ohms law.  It would be smart to include a fuse though.
Of course, there are still more issues relating to this but I'm not
here to teach electricity 101 :).

-Mel