Re: TI-H: Joystick connector

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Joystick connector

I can do it in 5 wires!!! Wire 1 is common. It connects to pin 24 on the
microprocessor (for the TI-85 anyway). left is pin 17, right is pin 18,
up is pin 19, and down is pin 16. simply connect the 4 buttons in the
joystick to each wire, with common (pin 24) connecting to all the
buttons in the joystick. 5 wires is all that's needed. add pin 21 and 30
to the fire button to press 2nd. that's 7 wires. add 1 more wire, pin
22, and short it with pin 30 to get exit. That's 8 wires (8 pin header
WILL fit on a TI-8x. Pin 23 and 29 is Alpha. If you have the arrow keys,
and 2nd and alpha, you use 5 wires for the arrow keys and 4 for the two
fire buttons (2nd and Alpha). That's 9 pins! If you have a third button,
add 1 pin for exit and you have 10 pins (use a 10 pin header)! You can
have 2nd, Alpha, EXIT, and the 4 arrow keys all on one joystick, enough
to control most shells even!!! The design can be modified for any calc
as well!!!

Personaly though, I'd rather see a positional joystick. Maybe a GUI that
uses it as a mouse. Something small, about the size of an N64 Analog
joystick, and would work the same way! That's what I want, because I
personaly agree that just emulating the keys is boring.

Richard Piotter
richfiles1@hotmail.com

>It wouldn't really matter whether it was a 9 or 15 pin, but mine is a
>15-pin.  I found a joystick that I'm going to use, it is a SMALL 1in. X
1in.
>X 2 in.!  Basically,  whenever the joystick is moved, a relay is pulled
and
>then any key (whichever you solder the relay to) is pressed.  Pretty
simple.
>Since joysticks have a calibration knob, this idea will work.  As for a
>gamepad. . .  You would need a special port just for it.  You would
have to
>double the wires going to the gamepad, because they will have to
diectly
>short the keys.  I will have plans soon for a port that can be used by
both,
>with a modification to the gamepad.  Since a 15-pin port would be hard
>put on a TI-86 (or any other calc) and getting the cover to fit, I am
going
>to use a small phone (or any other) port that will fit, but I will have
>make an adapter.  I'm working on an interface for the link port, but I
>haven't gotten that far, and I don't know if there are enough people
who
>would want that.  If you have any suggestions or comments, e-mail me at
>reb@netride.com or, just reply to this message.
>

>-Robert Brack

I'd
>like
>>> some feed-back.  This should work with and game currently out.  I
will be
>>> posting a finished schematic at ticalc.org within two weeks.  Tell
me
>what you
>>> think.
>>
>>Some time ago, I thought about interfacing a joystick to the calc with
an
>>I2C system. A digital (Amiga, Atari, C64 style) joystick would be
connected
>>to the PCF8574 I/O expander, which in turn would be connected to the
link
>>port or SPinTerface port. The rest would just require some
programming.

>>I thought about an interrupt driven system where an interrupt routine
polls
>>the joystick port constantly, and hands over this information to the
>>application. It might even be possible to make the joystick movements
look
>>like keypresses to the running game, but this is unlikely because I
assume
>>most games read the keypad directly and not via ROM calls. Making
those
>>games work with the joystick would require tinkering with the
internals of
>>the TI.
>>
>>Of course, the system would also work fine without even using
interrupts. A
>>game could have direct joystick support, and poll the interface chip
>>whenever it wants. The programming should be a piece of cake with my
MBus