Re: TI-H: are we ever ON topic? =) (not a complaining message...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: are we ever ON topic? =) (not a complaining message... i need info)

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Grant Stockly wrote:

> >Lessie
> >
> >Grant > I could have sworn he asked for VJ++... Microsoft's is fine for
> >windows.
> >Sun's is more of a linux approach.
> >
> >Me > Sun isn't a "linux" approach.  It's a multi-platform approach.  The
> >JDK works
> >QUITE fine for MS.
> >
> >Dan > It would be better if you said "Sun isn't ONLY  a "linux" approach."
> >
> >Grant > Dan's right.  Suns can run either Solaris which is a flavor of
> >unix, or BSD
> >(another unix) and what ever else is out there...  Redhat...
> >
> >Me > I'm running the JDK on win95.. no emulators or anything..  runs perfectly
> >fine.. even wrote some stupid java apps.  They have both a windows and
> >unix version
> >on that link I gave ye.
> >
> >Grant > Suns DON'T emulate Solaris...
> >
> >Dan > Grant...what the hell are you talking about? He never said that Suns
> >emulate
> >Solaris. He simply said that he's running the JDK on windows 95.  This is of
> >course, because there is a windows 95 compiled version of it.
>
> Dan didn't say that..someone that never contribs did.
The hell it was someone that never contribs...and what i meant by it being
"portable" is that the compiled executables work exactly the same way on
every platform. This is because java doesn't compile into a real
executable, it compiles into byte code for a virtual machine. This virtual
machine is what is emulated by all the various java interperters out
there. All of them are SUPPOSED to do it exactly the same way, but there
are some flaws here and there in people's implementations...

-- Jon Olson (morph- from now on, switched back to Linux)

> >This clear up any confusion?
>
> Nope.  You left out some.
>
> Make some calc stuff, post it on a site.  For the while being, go back to
> the hole in which you came from...

Follow-Ups: References: