Re: TI-H: diskdrive 2 calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: diskdrive 2 calc

>Implimenting the AT bus on a PIC is hard. You'll need to use one of the
>most
>expensive pics to get enough I/o. Or just use many latches and bus
>
>transcevers.
>Well,
>this is true except for one thing; I'm not using a floppydisk controller. I'm
>going to attach a pic directly to the diskdrive (this is why i said i haven't
>gotten all of the information yet, getting information about a controller
>would
>have been easy.) Because of the fact that a diskdrive only has 15 usable pins
>and i can loose 2 pins easily it can be possible (the problem is that i
>need 13
>lines for the diskdrive and 2 for the calc, but maybe i can lower this.)
>Well
>anyway, that's all.
>
>Neil

Most likely if you aren't using a controller you will probably need to time
things exactly on the dot or else it will fall apart.  Like serial.

I could whip up an AVR that did it fine in 10 minutes.  The problem with
the PIC is that it is literally 4 times slower than the AVR.

1 instruction cycle on an 8MHz AVR is 125ns.  1 instruction cycle on an
8MHz PIC is 500ns.

Just tell me and I could point you to some links about the AVR.  They are
also cheeper.  an 8515 with 32 I/O lines costs only $8.  Power comes cheep.

I'll give some code on interfacing to the AT bus using the 8515 if people
wouldn't get over excited.  :/

I think it would be just as fun to build on the PIC, but as far as sync, I
don't know if it can cut it.  The instructions to read or set I/O port bits
could take up to 2us.  Thats alot of time in the electronic world.

Follow-Ups: References: