Re: TI-H: USB Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: USB Link

Okay, MP made simple.  Application threads are run through Central
Processing.  Threads are processed.  The more threads on a single CPU system,
the more performance can suck.  Add an extra CPu, and it handles some of those
threads.  Go up to four CPUs, and under the Intel Pentium architecture and up,
you've got 8 pipes, ideal for integer based work and such (two pipes per
Pentium, but only one has access to a full blown FPU). Simple.
16 threads / 2 pipes = 8 threads per pipe = crap performance
16 threads / 8 pipes = 2 threads per pipe = happy work.

BUT

1 thread / 2 pipes = what we're used to
1 thread / 8 pipes = 3 and a half CPUs sucking up power for no legitimate
reason.

In a crappy system like a Wintel box, you hardly notice a legitimate
difference, since M$ doesn't do preemptive multitasking OR multithreading well
under NT.  In fact, they don't even do it properly!  This is what I call
crap.  A multiprocessor system won't even do that much good under Linux, but
I've heard good things about SMP under BeOS.

Next, did anyone think about USB as a tech support nightmare?
"Okay.  I want you to plug your mouse into your floppy drive, your printer
into your mouse, your keyboard into your printer..."
The way of the future.  Hmph.  and most of the devices don't even have the
chain ports on them, so you need to tell these new users to buy a hub.  As if
the beginning user knows what a hub is?

CK