Re: TI-H: Re: TIcalc/TIPhiles

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: TIcalc/TIPhiles

Believe me.. I know what it costs here. I have a friend who has produced a
few CDs on his own. I addition, my school has three show choirs which each
produce a CD every year. When you've got a CD which needs to be
commercially produced, you take a copy of it to the duplication place.
They have a master made (at a cost of like $700) from which the individual
CDs are produced. I also worked at a CD duplication place, so I know the
actual parts in the CD are *very* inexpensive.. about a dime for the disc,
plus 50 cents or so for the jewel case. But there is a lot of labor
involved in putting the cards into the jewel cases, assembling the cases,
printing the label onto the CD, quality checking each one, putting the CD
into the jewel case, wrapping them, shipping them... So the cost really
does get up there. They have to pay fairly well to get employees who'll
keep working there very long, and they still have a high employee turnover
rate. That means lots of time wasted training new workers, fixing their
mistakes, etc.

If you wanted to do a small production run, CD-R would be the ideal
medium. But I don't think I would be interested in burning batches of 500
CD-Rs very frequently. At 4x burn, 200 MB would take about 8 minutes.
Times 500 CDs makes 4000 minutes, or nearly 67 hours. If you spent six
hours a day burning CDs, it would take 11 days, during which your PC is
not available to be used for anything else. And then you still need to get
inserts printed, CD-R labels printed, put the insert in the jewel case,
put the label on the CD.. it gets very impractical for large runs.

But if you were talking something like 80 CDs, it wouldn't be much of an
inconvenience.

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com