Re: TI-H: Motion control and a UNIVERSAL Interface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Osma Suominen wrote:

> I was hoping I could finish my IR link first so you wouldn't need/want
> to build one into your EuP. But the problem with the EuP IR link is that
> it won't work without special drivers. Mine will, and it will hopefully
> support I2C too (untested, but it should work).

Well, I don't think you should make the IR link support any specific
protocolsince its much harder than just doing the basic hardware and letting it
transmit a high frequency sub-modular pulse when it wants to send a high
and another low frequency sub-modular pulse when you want to signal
a low (both are "modulated on top of" the 38k "carrier".) Of course, this
will not be possible if you must make the IR link connect directly to the TI
without an MCU in between.

And no, the EuP will have a full graphlink emulation mode... It will become
totally transparent and function exactly like the normal TI graph link -
9600 8N1... At 5 volts on the "bus" and at normal RS-232 voltage levels
for the PC connector (optional.)

This will be quite simple - When you turn the EuP
on it will default to memory mode - But if you run a very small program you
can send the EuP an op code telling to enter "transparent" Graph Link mode
where it will stay until manually reset (off-on salute.) So no, no driver will
be needed other than the tiny (like, 50 bytes or less) program to set
EuP mode.

> How about IrDA? I don't know much about it but I've understand it can be
> used for a serial-IR-serial link...if you don't have to, don't design
> your own. It's frustrating, I can tell you :)

IrDA is somewhat unneeded - My IR link design follows my usual design
rules:Implement in hardware what must be implemented in hardware, but no less or
no more.
It will just be a dumb IR link that transmits a one when it gets a high on the
input
line and a zero when it gets a low.. this is basically all that is needed for any
synch. protocol
out there. Actually, as an added advantage, the PIC16F84 will handle all of the
tough
protocol conversion - The EuP IR link will not have to be "dual-channel" like a
non-serial
link would have to be. In short, it makes things a LOT easier. Still, I'd love to
see you
finish your project and wish you good luck.

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net

Follow-Ups: References: