TI-H: Re: Extender uP

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Re: Extender uP

Dave Dunkin wrote:

> I am very interesting in purchasing a PIC, but I'm concerned about
> upgradability.  Assuming you eventually add RS232 support, which I'm
> interested in almost as much as memory expansion, will people who've
> already purchased PICs be able to send them back to you to be
> reprogrammed?  And will the EuP bus require a new firmware?  Also,
> have you considered selling the Amtel chips with the PICs in  a sort
> of bundle?  It would make it a little easier on those of us planning

Well, there is really no reason for me to buy the atmel chips just
toresell them. I really am too busy to resell parts that can be
purchased
from other distributors over the net and over the phone. It takes three
minutes, and its really no hassle.

As for the RS-232 idea, I may add that eventually, but I honestly
wouldn't
count on it. I only have code to send serial data, not to receive it,
and I don't
have the time nor the inclination to work on the firmware much more. It
works
as a memory extender, for now it looks like you'll need a graphlink for
the serial
conversion. But yes, I will try to offer firmware upgrades if I need to.
I just won't
make any promises.

> I think it's safe to speak for the whole TI community in saying we
> greatly appreciate your efforts.

I'm glad to hear that. I just wish I had more time to work on it. I will
beperfectly honest in saying that I don't think the EuP will have much
more
done to it by me. Thats why I'm trying to get others to head it up and
sell
finished units. The firmware is more or less final, so, again,
I seriously doubt
I will ever add RS-232C support. Its not that hard, but I just don't
have time
to write a PIC asm receiving routine.

<soapbox rant="true">

Some people have asked about how the EuP will compare to the EII. Again,

I'll be very honest and say it pales a bit in comparison. The transfer
rates
are probably not as high, and the EuP does not have any special
features. But
I think that people will in the end prefer something that just plain
works over
something that is currently just a list of vague features on a web page.
Really,
I don't see any use for an IR link, or an 8 bit sound card, or whatever
"Mel is
doing." If you want that stuff, buy a laptop for crying out loud.

</soapbox> ;-)

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net

Follow-Ups: References: