TI-H: Copyrighting things...the mistakes we've made

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Copyrighting things...the mistakes we've made

Hello! I've been reading the messages on the EuP that hass been 'created/updated' by a few people recently, and I'm getting a little tired with getting 5-10 messages with everybody arguing over who has rights to what and whatever. I go this from the US Copyright Office website, and it is in accordance to the US copyright laws. I don't know about other countries, but here goes...(read the WHOLE THING!!! more info at bottom)
http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ01.html#wcc

WHAT WORKS ARE PROTECTED
Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible, so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

(1) literary works;
(2) musical works, including any accompanying words;
(3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;
(4) pantomimes and choreographic works;
(5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;
(6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
(7) sound recordings; and
(8) architectural works.
These categories should be viewed quite broadly: for example, computer programs and most "compilations" are registrable as "literary works;" maps and architectural plans are registrable as "pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works."

WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT
Several categories of material are generally not eligible for Federal copyright protection. These include among others:
Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression. For example: choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded.
Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents.
Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration.
Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship. For example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources.

Well, I know that that is a little long, but there isn't anyhing about electronic diagrams and schematics. That would need to be patented. Which REQUIRES YOU TO REGISTER!!! And that costs $$$.
Another thing, is that even if you make it, and release it (such as to ticalc.org) it becomes information that you can get from a common source(you can get it anywhere in the world). That, according to the last line, says that it is not protected.

I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANY COMMENTS ON THIS, UNLESS IT IS A CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENT, NOT AN INSULT!!! I have only provided this as information to people on this list, just to clarify some issues. You may do what you wish with this info, but remember the above line.

Jeff Dezur
jeffd@wwnet.net or jeffd@gcsi.net
-Global Communication System Administrator
-GCSI Webmaster
-LegalPlace.Net Webmaster
-The Web Ink Senior Webmaster and Designer