Re: TI-H: Screen and H2O problems

[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Screen and H2O problems

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Larry G Currie wrote:

> Shadowing his problem, does anyone know how to help a very old 85 that
> was dropped and now horizontal rows are missing.  There are many rows
> missing at the bottom, but few at the top.  And occasionally, there would
> be an intense pixelless line on the screen (horiz.) that faded out slowly
> when I turned the calc off.
>
> Also, does anyone know how to fix a calc that was in the washer.  I have
> an inherited '80 or '81 which went through the washer.  It didn't work at
> first, but then did, so I took out the batteries and opened it up.  It
> was damp & lightly corroded inside (or was it Tide?) so I cleaned it up,
> got new Good batteries and tried it, now it wont work.  I tried turning
> up the contrast, like on a '82 hit second, release it then hold down the
> up arrow.  If this is wrong tell me.  BTW: this is a non-linking, but
> cute calc.  The board is scribed for a link port, apparently scrapped
> before TI sent the 80 ro 81 line to production.
>
> A few friends of mine own '83's.  Two of the four dropped their calcs.
> The 83 doesn't make good battery connections.  Goodbye memory.  At least
> once, this 82 owner was superior to his '83 friends.
>
> Larry Currie
> Larry1492@juno.com
>
> On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:29:23 GMT Allen Saunders <saundeam@JMU.EDU>
> writes:
> >  I dropped my relatively new TI-86 the other day and now the first
> >column of
> >characters (not pixels, *characters*) does not display.
> >   So am I completely screwed or what? The corner is scraped, they'd
> >never
> >replace it under warranty. Do you think it could be fixed? I don't
> >want to be
> >out $120, and I can't afford to buy another TI.
> >
> >   I'm about at the point where I'm going to take it apart and poke it
> >to see
> >what happens (exploratory surgery). Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >   Allen Saunders
> >   saundeam@jmu.edu

That's really strange because I have an 83 myself and I can't count the
times I have or other people have dropped.  Once, a kid threw it halfway
across my science classroom and I didn't lose anything from the memory or
lose any pixels on the screen.  I don't have any advice other that to call
TI to see how much it is to fix the calc.  It will probably costa little
less than buying a new one would.  It's worth a shot.

     ____  \  / __  / / _ \	      Daniel Vlacich
    /    / / / / / / / / / \          Montgomery Blair High School
   /    / / / /_/ / / / /  /          TI-83/82 Questions?
  /    / / / __  / / / /  /           email: dvlacich@mbhs.edu

Follow-Ups: References: