Re: TI-H: Multimaster I2C routines

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Josha Foust wrote:

> > > Actually this is a very big problem.  Even if one could achieve 35kb/s on
> > > every calculator on the network, your throughput would be 35/number of
> > > calculators!  So after about 5 calculators you will have very little bandwidth
> > > to work with.
> >
> > Well, yes, but only if every calculator was sending at the same time.
> > And usually they don't. And do you think 7kb/s would be slow? What would
> > you actually use the bandwidth for?
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I find this a kind of funny question :)
> >
> > -Ozone
> >
> > --
> > *** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone
> > ***
> >

> On the network only one calculator can send at one time (this was just
> discussed in reference to only using one frequency).  Since this is true,
> each calc would only get a sliver of time to transmit on, at 35kb/s, which
> effectively give each calculator 35kbs/# of calc MAX.  Many people were
> speaking of a huge network throughout the school, or a whole classroom.  This
> would definetely cause problems with bandwidth.

Only if every calc was using the network at once that is.  In reality
you could expect that as little as half the calcs would be using it at
once, unless the software is written to have idle calcs use the network
when there is no reason to.  The main problem is anything like an
"announce yourself" instruction, where all the calcs would need to
respond.

--
Andy Johnson