Re: TI-H: Re: Voltage at 4.4v ???

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: Voltage at 4.4v ???

At 08:46 AM 8/17/97 -0400, Bryan Rittmeyer wrote:
>Additionally, you are incorrect in your description of Duracells.
>Duracells
>-=ARE=- Alkaline batteries, just like the pink bunny batts. The
>differences
>between the batteries are fairly minor and you simply cannot compare
>them
>since you have no idea how long each of the batts you tested was on the
>store shelf. Additionally... MOST batteries are renewable -- Its just
>that
>normal alkalines do not recharge well at all. NiCds are specialized for
>being rechargable... NiMH are ever better than NiCds. The renewables are
>probably alkalines that are just modified slightly to make them take a
>charge
>better. Personally, I don't think the renewables are worth the cardboard
>they
>come in.

Just wanted to let everyone know (and cuz I love getting on your case
specifically ;-)...) that ALL batteries are in fact renewable.  Under
optimum conditions, the nature of the battery is suck that the flow of
electrons is constant, and there is NO LOSS whatsoever.  However, we all
know that there are not optimum conditions.  What happens is not loss of
power or ability of electron flow, but that of degradation of the actually
zinc and copper which helps in the flow.  The electrolytic acid and salt
bridge which are inside act as the means of flow, but when the particles
are spread all over, there is no way the electrons can flow.  However, a
certain type of charging procedure will create enough of a bridge that
electrons can flow again for a while.  As such, all alkalines are
rechargable =).

|         Joseph M. Gaffney - gaffney@thethinker.com         |
|           "Tiocfaidh Ár Lá" / "Our Day Will Come"          |
|  "If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Off My Face"  |
|                   The Creative Outlet                      |
|       http://www.thethinker.com/members/gaffney/           |