Re: TI-H: ***IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURBO THE 86?!?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: ***IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURBO THE 86?!?

>Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:25:42 -0600 (MDT)
>From: NightShadow <foglem@nmt.edu>
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re:  TI-H: ***IS IT POSSIBLE TO TURBO THE 86?!?
>
>I don't know about how to turbi the 86; but if your 85 was unstable it
was
>because you didn't turbo it to a 1pf cap... it most likely had none
which
>is unstable on SOME rom versions...
>Question for Richard: this shouldn't have happened but for some reason
>after installing my SPinTerface my link port is now a bit "tighter"
than
>it had been...
>							-=<Matt>=-

Are your batteries low? If they are, the wires may be building a
capacitance that the link port power can't always overcome. If you did
it yourself, make sure the wires are as short as possible. Also, if
there is a ball of solder rolling in your calc, it could cause it, but
it would probably be causing crashes too. I have never had a problem
with it. Check the voltage regualtor output too. If there is a short,
the regulator may be staying on all the time and drawing power from the
link port. It's possible but not likely. I think your best bet is to
check the link port wires. make sure they aren't thick or long. That
will build up capacitance, which is hell on the link port. If it were a
crystal controled link port, it wouldn't be as bad of a problem, but ti
used RC circuits (resistor-capacitor). They are more drop resistant than
a crystal, but they aren't as stable. The RC circuits can be affected by
temp, humidity, extra resistance on the port, and especialy capacitance.
That capacitance causes single bit errors I think, that ruin
transmission.

Just check things over. While it's open, I would also see if you can get
a 78L05 instead of a 7805 voltage regulator. The second one uses less
power and holds the voltage better. It looks like a metal transistor,
and won't come from Radio Shack. That may help with the SPinTerface, but
I doubt it will help with the link. Also, make sure the link wires don't
short with anything.

Last, but not least, Did you unplug the cart first?  (;

(I2C carts seem to let the link port run, even if they are pluged in
though, but they probably reduce the ports abilities too).

Hope I helped!!!  (:

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A