TI-H: SPinTerface 82 & 7805/78L05 regulators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: SPinTerface 82 & 7805/78L05 regulators

>From: "Josh Bode" <josh@very.net>
>To: <ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org>
>Subject: TI-H: SPINterface and the 82
>Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:05:11 +1000
>
>is the spinterface compatible withan 82?
>

>Thanks :)
>
>Josh Bode

Yes, The SPinTerface is compatible with the TI-82. Infact, it's
compatible with any TI calc with a Link port. The catch is the
cartridges. Some carts will run on any calc, others only run on one
kind. The speaker cart will run on any calc, but an expander cart won't.
The only way to make it run is to port the driver or software that uses
the device. Anyone with good skills in link port programming can do the
port. They just need to have a reason.

The SPinTerface is basicly a link port with a power supply. It isn't
some type of new interface or a second port. It's an upgrade to the
original port that makes it cheap and easy to add on devices and to
expiriment with prototypes and stuff like that. I will be fixing my web
page shortly and I will keep it updated. The updates will tell what new
carts are made and what calcs they are compatible with. If you do build
the SPinTerface yourself, make sure to use the 78L05, not the 7805 from
Radio Shack. You can use either one, but if you intend to build the
speaker cart or a cart with sensitive circuits that require 5v+ exactly,
I would go with the 78L05. It has been pointed out to me that the 7805
has a higher dropout voltage, so if your batteries are low, you may not
get the full 5v power supply, only 4.4 or so. It works with most stuff,
but I am going to bulk order the 78L05 which works better and is smaller
and uses less power. I will use those from now on in my instalations.
I'm ordering them tommorow.

Also, if anyone has built a SPinTerface, or if I built one for you
before Aug 14, then you may have used the 7805 instead of the 78L05. The
difference is that the 7805 has the heatsink to mount it and there is a
tiny screw holding it in place. The 78L05 is more like a transistor
sized part in a metal case. It can be simply glued inside. They tend to
be slightly more expensive, since they are a low power version, but the
couple cents taken off for the screw makes up. I don't realy think you
need to change the part unless you have a speaker cart that draws too
much power or you have extremely sensitive logic chips that need 5v. I
have only done one calc through the mail using the 7805, and it worked
fine. The other calcs are mine and a friend's. I am going to leave my
calc the way it is for a while to see if I have problems. If I do, I'll
make it known. If I don't, then I'll say too.

I'll keep all these updates on my web page when I fix it.

Thanks!

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A