Re: TI-H: Parallel Memory expansion

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Piotter wrote:

> Someone mentioned IC2 before and it sounds good. TI calcs CAN interface
> with IC2, because there is a temperature sensor for the 85 based on IC2.
> I had the idea of parralel flash chips that would use a shiftregister to
> convert serial to parallel and back. Mel came up with such a design, but
> stoped developing it. If you can pull this off with IC2 HOOORAY FOR
> YOU!!! (-:
>
> I am realy hoping that it can be done without microcontrolers, because
> they are so hard to program ($100 equipment). Every one building a
> microcontroller based expander seems to say that it's the best way to go
> and in many, many ways, it is, but it means you have to atleast buy the
> chip from someone. A driver would make it easy to build it yourself, and
> that's what I like. I can't help with the driver, but I will cheer you
> on. Try IC2. It might just work.
>
> Also, let me know how many chips it would probably take. If it isn't to
> many, I would like to design a SPinTerface Memory Cartridge based on it.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Richard Piotter

First off, Does that mean Mel Tsai is not going to be working on ANY
more expanders? (Though perhaps I should ask him.) I also found another
8Mbit serial FLASH memory chip, almost exactly like the Expander SF's
(Except it isn't a MicroWire bus, so new software will need to be
written.)
But an I2C converter to parallel data would be nice since you could
daisy-chain to other I2C devices. This would allow the TI-85 to manage
the collection of vast amounts of information from various sensing
equipment, and while I will construct a schematic for the 8Mbit flash
chip, for anyone who wants to write software for it, I personally feel
that the I2C system (albeit noticeably slower and larger than the flash
chip) lends itself to more uses than just storing Zshell games.

As far as the SPinTerface, The flash chip will probably fit nicely in
the cartridge, though the I2C device most certainly will not. Anyway, I
will be ordering the necessary parts as soon as possible for both
devices, and hope to have some schematics up within the month.

Charlie Goetzman
tgoetzma@lax.net

Follow-Ups: References: