Re: TI-H: SPinterface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: SPinterface

>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re: TI-H: SPinterface
>From: justin.bosch%tfexchng@min.net (JUSTIN BOSCH)
>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 97 17:57:00 -0500
>
>-> I can't think of any real advantages to an IR or RF link, when you
>-> factor in the difficulty building these devices would present. The
>-> best option IMHO would be to convert the TI protocol to standard
>-> RS-232(C), as the Graph Link does, perhaps at 2400 or less (since
any
>-> kind of wireless link is extremely prone to errors) using a PIC
>-> instead of the commercial graph link, and then send/rec the data via
>-> RS-232C IR/RF transceivers, which have already been designed and are
>-> availible as kits, and in any case are much easier to
>-> redesign than an RF or IR link using TI's protocol.
>->
>-> Regards,
>->
>-> Bryan Rittmeyer
>-> bryanr@flash.net
>
>What would the size of such a device and the converter be?  Could you
>make a SPinterface cartridge to convert between them?

A SPinTerface device is easy, but a cartridge? It depends. You can
always have a tiny box with a cable, but a link would end up being more
convenient. However, if the IR device is small, It can easily be built
into a SPinTerface cart. The cartridge case that I designed from the
Virtual boy game covers can probably hold two or three PLCC or SOIC
chips with the large case style. The standard case style could hold an
IR link if it used a simple UART and an IrDA chip from TI. I think it
might be possible to build an working IR link usuing a UART, an IrDA
chip, and a driver. The driver would be like the Expander software. It
would send or recieve, but only one at a time. The difference is that
you need to skip the clock line and reserve one line as a transmit line
and the other for recieving. I can't do the software, but the hardware
is most likely within my abilities and it WILL fit into a small style
case. The IR Reciever component however may be one of those assemblys
like in a VCR or TV IR reciever. If that's so, then I may heve to have
the reciever outside of the case, but that's OK since it is housed by a
metal case that can be attached to the plastic case!

NOTE: I'M NOT SAYING I HAVE A DESIGN. I'm saying I have an idea,
untested, but possible.

As for wireless. I have NOOOOOOOOO clue about how to make that, and it
would most likely require a very large cart or a case and cable.

I hope someone can try my idea out. I don't have the stuff yet, but I'm
sending for it.

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A