Re: TI-H: TI-Modem one big reply

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI-Modem one big reply

Ben Shakal wrote:

> What ever happened to that single-chip 300-baud modem?  I know 300 isn't
> much, but it might be worth the sacrifice in speed for its small size
> and low price.  It is National Semiconductor part no. MM74HC943N (I
> think... that might be the wrong one).  And it could even be built using
> that SPinTerface cartridge system. :)

Too bad you can't hook the MM74HC943N directly to the link port. You
need a serial port. That can be done with a UART such as Philips'
SCC2691 (it has only 24 pins and a 4-byte FIFO buffer to prevent
overflows), and that again can be connected with a multiplexing circuit
such as PCF8574 which connects to the I2C bus, which again can be
emulated by the TI link port. You need two PCF8574's to use the UART.
But I think this kind of system would be too expensive. It could,
howewver, theoretically reach at least 19200 bps, which the Graph Link
can't.

A PIC or similar microcontroller could, of course, also be used, but
it's not very easy to program.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone