Re: TI-H: IR Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IR Link

I have an interesting point.

> From:          zarquon@gaianet.net
> Date:          Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:35:36 -0500
> Subject:       TI-H: IR Link
> To:            ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org

> TI>think that with some help from this mailing list it would be possible
> TI>for me to build a working IR link for two or even more TI calcs (an IR
> TI>LAN in a classroom would be really great! :) ).
>
>        My concern with that is what are you going to use for collision
> detect and/or avoidance (esp. if limited to one channel).  IR tends to
> blanket the area (esp. in a room).
This is how you can do simple, more than two calculator chat. (With a
working IR transmitter/receiver) If the IR blankets the room, this is
good. Think about what would happen if you have 1 transmitting
calculator, and 2 receiving ones. The data transmitted from the
transmitting calculator would appear on both recieving calculators.
So you can have a multiperson chat. To keep track of whos saying
what, a name can be sent with every transmittion. Make sence? Of
course, there can be no comfirmation messages from the recieving end,
because if there was, the transmitting calc would recieve 2
confirmations, and get mixed up. This will make a choppy
conversation, but it will do. (there are software ways around it)
(ie, a hotkey to repeat what you just said, incase it got garbled)
Hope this makes sence... I AM TOTALLY inexpierenced with networks or
circuits like the ones neccessary for TI-85's.

> TI>Does this sound stupid?
>        Nope.
> TI>Have I forgot something?
>        I don't see anything major.. though from the number of people
> here, it had be better be turbo tolerent.
> TI>Any ideas?
>        When the Calc-Calc is finished, how 'bout a Calc-PC hookup?
> TI>Anyone willing to help?
>        However I can.. however, electronics isn't my strong point.. and
> I don't know assembly yet, so I can't do much with the programming
> either..
>
> Zarquon
> Sysop of Imperial Realm (410) 799-8616

<pre>
--
Min Idzelis
javaman@wstudios.com

"Computers are like drugs: Highly addictive,
incredibly expensive, and you keep having to buy more
and better to remain at the same level of amusement."
</pre>