Re: TI-H: Serial Port for TI-8x

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Serial Port for TI-8x

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:08:45 -0400, you wrote:
>I was looking at the schematic on the Datasheet of the 16550 UART from
>Nation Semi.  It shows how to use it with a basic microprocessor.=20
>Couldn't the current I/O unit be taken out of the Ti and replaced with
>something more normal, like the 16550 and then ANY comm. device could be
>used with the correct software.
>Patrick

One of my first projects will be adding an external keyboard to the
Expander, then my second project will be adding a UART (probably an
MC6850, I don't know about a 16550).  If TI had done this from the
start, that would have made our jobs easy, and of course, TI wouldn't
want that!  Of course, the real reason is that it just drives up the
hardware costs, and RS-232 software emulation is much cheaper.

-Mel

<pre>
--
The TI Memory Expansion Homepage