Re: TI-H: Don't be held back...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Don't be held back...

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:58:57 -0700, you wrote:
>One of the problems with the RAM Extender is that it has no calc thru =
port.
> I would suggest, after it comes out, that it be examined for a possible
>link thru port so that it could be used in conjunction with anything =
else
>that can be plugged into the port.

I can safely say that it's not going to ever be possible.  Without a
microprocessor controlled link system, it's virtually impossible to
have transparent access (like scsi daisy-chaining) to two things at
the same time.  Sorry!  You can have simulated access, but not
transparent access.  That's why you always see parallel-port chaining
but you never see serial port chaining.  A serial port just doesn't
have enough control lines.

It's not really drawback anyways!  I don't know of any software out
there that would need to have the expander connected while you use the
link port, and even if there was most of the time you wouldn't need
the expander connected at the same time.  Just unplug it and your set.
For example, if and when Zterm comes out, why would you need a thru
port for the expander?  Zterm won't be able to access the Expander, so
you might as well unplug it!  A thru port would be virtually useless.

-Mel

<pre>
--
The TI Memory Expansion Homepage