Re: TI-H: What we need to concentrate on with the RF

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Robin, Jim, & Eric Barker wrote:

> But most of us here are from the US (I think) is it legal here?  I can't
> believe that we can't legally make a 50 meter radio transmitting device,
> that doesn't seem right.

Believe it. Unless you have an amateur radio license and the transmitter
complies with the regulations set forth by the FCC (regarding frequency,
power output, modulation type, etc), a home-built and/or unlicensed radio
transmitter is illegal.

The reason for regulating radio transmissions is that anarchy doesn't make
for an efficient use of the limited amount of spectrum space, and the
potential for interference is too great.

As an amateur radio operator, I would like to see a radio link developed
that fell within amateur radio guidelines. Of course, it could then only
be operated by licensed hams, but a Technician license these days doesn't
even require morse-code proficiency, only a written exam of basic radio
theory.

-Isaac
(KC4TQP)

<pre>