RE: ti-emu: RE: A86: Re: new emulator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: ti-emu: RE: A86: Re: new emulator

> OH! That kinda problem... Well, when I was building my emulator
> (V86) I put
> into it an "XDebug" mode, where I have just a prompt, and can do
> anything I
> want to the memory and registers in the emulator and can execute
> things one
> at a time.  Initially it was VERY basic and everything had to be hand
> assembled into the thing, but now it works off pattern matching
> assembly so
> I can actually see what commands I'm really using.  Also, there
> could be a
> problem with your PORT 3, because if you emulate PORT 3 sufficiently
> incorrect it will cause the emulated processor to never check the
> keyboard,
> but if you're getting a blinking cursor, then I don't think it
> can really be
> that.
Yeah, I was hoping I wouldnt get any severe problems so that I had to resort
to writing a debugger as well, but....

> And also, I'm asking for some clarification here, why would you Z80 core
> deviate from TI86Emu on the keyboard handler?  The Z80 core is
> mearly that
> part of the program, which emulates the Z80, the wrapping
> subroutines define
> everything non-specific for the Z80 (such as the PORTS)  This is
> why there
> are a number of emulators out there that came out in a very short
> time, they
> borrowed a core and wrote the wrappers, meanwhile some wrote the
> entire core
> themselves, which made the process take 1 1/2 semesters *mumbles under
> breath*

ah, you see, I'm not exactly doing a cycle-accurate emulation of the core -
TI86Emu actually counts the number of cycles each instruction requires to
execute, and hence emulates the interrupts accurately. Mine doesnt - it
counts the number of instructions, because that's the easiest, and I want
this thing to be as fast as possible (it *is* for a m68k @ 16Mhz, after all
:)
I doubt the final version will ever run at full speed, but that's not really
the point - I need a decent calculator for my Palm (my TI86's just too much
to carry on some occassions <g>)

Follow-Ups: References: