Re: TIB: Let's Create the Ultimate BASIC Program Everyone (I Mean Everyo

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Let's Create the Ultimate BASIC Program Everyone (I Mean Everyone)

PJChaser@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/24/99 10:25:42 PM Central Standard Time,
> cflan@granitecity.com writes:
>
> > I think that we should all group together and make one ultimate
> >  program.
> You know what program i'd like to see on a calculator but haven't started (cuz
> it's so complex) is a chess program.  Not just graphics or anything, I mean a
> calculator program that actually plays chess against you.  Of course, drawing
> the board onscreen is relatively easy, (use an 8 X 8 matrix with zero for an
> open square and one for a pawn . . . etc.) but I want to turn my 92+ into a
> decent opponent.
>         Here's my plan: one massive procedure that will look at the board and
> virtually move a piece, then looking at the new board and determining a
> numerical value based on how good the position is.  It does this for a bunch
> of different possible moves and then chooses the one with the highest number.
> I have an idea to increase the game's intelligence another way, but tell me
> what you think of this one first.  It's gonna be hard, but I think I can do
> it.  It'd be a lot easier if some of you were willing to help out, or if you
> have any ideas share them.  Thanks.
> PJC II

I think hard might be a big understatement.  However, it would be neat
to make something that would kinda work at least.  I'm not a real good
chess player, but that isn't because of lack of interest, it's just that
I could never find anyone to play with.  Back a while ago I was trying
to actually learn some of the tactics and theories on position and stuff
like that and I found this book at the library that pertained to this.
The book was quite old and it dealt with the attempts to make good chess
programs on some of the old computers.  In it were several different
formulas and stuff that were used to calculate the various 'goodness' of
each move.  Then, whichever move got the highest number would be the
move that was made.  There were some major drawbacks to this but I'm not
exactly sure what they were.  That kind of idea would probably be a good
place to start.

Jody Snider
jody1@alaska.net

Follow-Ups: References: