TIB: Converting characters to a numeric (ASCII) value.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: Converting characters to a numeric (ASCII) value.

	Is there any way to convert a character to a numerical value,
and then back again.  I'm not talking about converting "13" to 13, but
rather converting the character "A" to 65, then being able to convert
65 back to "A".
	If the TI doesn't use ASCII, that's fine, I just need to be
able to manipulate characters with arithmetic operations, then convert
them back to characters.
	Right now, I have a big long string of all the characters and
a subroutine which scans through them all and returns an index into
the string.  So anything better than that would be helpful.

	I'm using a TI-86.

Greg Miller: Senior Consultant (IT Security/Programming)
Custom CGI Programming: http://www.iglou.com/mTech/
greg.miller@usa.net     http://members.iglou.com/gmiller/