Re: SD: Let me propose something then...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: Let me propose something then...

I think that someone should make an app for rom v2.? that allows writing
of asm programs (and includes archive protection so one has the chance
to fix any bugs).  It'd be nice if it were integrated into the system--just
use stuff right out of the old program editor

Note: I'm talking about the 92+ because that's what i have--DBA's on-calc
assembler works, so why not just ask them to do it, or get permission
and integrate it.

Noah Medling
http://xp.calc.org/

It all comes down to one thing: the bottom.

---- Robin Kay <kaypictures@clara.net> wrote:

>     How about creating a new tokenised language (TI-BASIC is tokenised)
> for TI calculators. First of all scrap expression evaluation becuase
> that is too slow, replace is with assembler like arithmatic. Allow
> fixed
> point maths for increased speed. Then replace the Lbl statement with
> absolute jumps like with jp and jr. Create a comprehensive platfrom
> independant API for accessing functions. Then replace slow interpreted
> code with Just-In-Time compiling. The majority of the work of the JIT
> would simply involve replacing language tokens with machine-dependant
> macros or ROM calls. The end result would of course be slower than
> writing programs in pure assembly, but still much faster (and more
> functional) than BASIC and still machine independant (between Z80 and
> 68K). Or course this require programmers to port the underlying shell
> all the different calculators first, but after that (in theory) any
> program written in the new language would work without modification
> of
> any TI-Calc. Such a system --could-- revolutionise programming TIs
> as we
> know it, much in the same way that Java is doing on the PC platform.
> Think about it, and then reply with your position...
>
> --Robin Kay--

To get your own FREE ZDNet onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com