Re: SD: Re: DHOS Shell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: Re: DHOS Shell

*not intended to be a flame*

text is smaller than what?  I've written a shell for Usgard that was 532
bytes (http://members.tripod.com/~Llama_/usgdos for more info and
sourcecode).  I'd like to see a shell written in your scripting language
which is smaller than 532 bytes and provides the same or similar
functionality.  If you want small and fast, asm is the only way...

text isn't a standard... windows/dos uses <cr><lf> to end a line while
ascii and ebdic (sp?) are different standards for text... ebdic is a
proprietary IBM text format... and the extended ascii character set is
different on most systems (ie. MacOS vs. Win/dos)... the DHOS team would
have to decide on a "standard" for text.

-kyle

dan wrote:

<snip>

> 4) Text is smaller, can be transmitted over the Internet without error and
> is one of the only true standards left.

<snip>
> I hope this brief email brought some of my ideas to the table. XML/SGML and
> stylesheets are very complex and take months to master. It would be hard for
> me to explain every aspect of the shell language that I'm thinking of.
>
> I think that Matt had a great idea for using text strings to hold the shell
> layout. This would be great to use. I would be more than happy to lead this
> aspect if no one objected to using XML/SGML just due to the power of the
> language.
>
> Comments and Suggestions are Welcome.
> ~~ Dan Hable ~~

<snip>
--
They who fight with monsters must take care lest they become a monster.
For