Re: LZ-Adv: Is it possible to write to .db's?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ-Adv: Is it possible to write to .db's?

>How would you go about addressing these? An example would be most
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>
>.\\ark

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day; but teach a man how to fish, and
he shall never go hungry again.  I'll tell you how, but I won't do your
work for you.  Ok, the .db stands for data bytes, and is stored in the
compiled program as raw data.  When you say 'LD AL, String', and at the
end, you have a...
String:
   .db "Hello World"
the proessor loades the data BYTE by BYTE (instead of word by word as .dw
tells the compiler to do).  To edit this, you can do one of two things.
You could disassemble the program and just edit it, and then reassemble it,
or you could hex-edit the compiled program, and search through all of the
hex to find what you're looking for.  Then you could simply edit this, and
save it, but then the checksum needs to be recomputed, and I'm not sure how
to do this.  Why, are you trying to make a program say that you wrote it?
There is already a program for Zshell that does this for you.  But since
the release of this, programmers are storing credits as bit-mapped splash
screens, which are larger, and next to impossible to edit.

                                      -C.J.-

Unsolicited commercial e-mail to the poster of this message
will be proofread at $70/hr, minimum charge $150.  Submission
of such e-mail to this address will suffice as contractual assent
to the said charging schedule.