From: Open discussion of TI Graphing Calculators
[mailto:CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM]On Behalf Of lists@IKRSNA.COM
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 9:29 PM
To: CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Subject: factoring completely

Hello

I own a TI89 and I am having a little trouble with completely factoring
polynomials. I have cleared variables a-z so that is not part of the
problem.

I want to Factor completely: 8p^3-r^6
So on the 89 I do: factor(8p^3-r^6)
The answer it gives me is: 8p^3-r^6

So it does not completely factor, the answer that it should give me is:
(2p-r^2)*(4p^2+2pr^2+r^4)

Is there anyway to make it do that? What am I missing?

When I try to factor something simple like: factor(x^2-64) I get (x+8)*(x-8)
which we all know is correct.

So if you have any idea on how to solve this problem please get back to me.

Thanks again