Multiplayer Wargame for the TI9X

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multiplayer Wargame for the TI9X

I have plans, and some code(!), for a game I am working on for the 9X
series (including 89) but I would like to get some responses from the
general public before I continue.  The game will be for from 2 to 32 (or
more if people want) players.  The format will go something like this
(those of you familiar with PBEM games will recognize it):

1) Game Master (GM) runs the initialization program to create the map and a
turn file (a string or text variable in reality) for each player
2) GM meets each player and sends them their turn file
3) each player spends an alotted amount of time reviewing their turn file
(perhaps with a graphical viewer, perhaps with just the textual information)
4) players create orders files on their calculators indicating the actions
their units (men, weapons, buildings, vehicles, whatever) are to take in
the coming turn
5) each player meets with the GM and sends their orders file to him
6) the GM runs the turn generation program which interprets all the orders
files, works out the battles/movement/building/whatever, and then creates
new turn files for each player
7) repeat 2-6 until game is done

The turn files would be compact and non-redundant, but I would distribute a
simple program for players to expand it to a more readable form, and other
people could write front ends, even GUIs if there is enough demand.

The turn files would (if formatted correctly) look something like the
following:
---Begin Turn File for Player 1---
Units:
<#325> 'Tank Platoon 1' 10 Tanks, 50% armor, 85% speed.
 <#186> 'Drivers' 10 Men.  Skills: Driving(1), Navigation(1)
 <#187> 'Gunners' 10 Men.  Skills: Munitions(2)
 Actions: Moved (13,8)-(12,8)-(12,8).  Patrolling (12,7).

<#117> 'Leader' 1 Men.  Skills: Tactics(2), Stealth(1), Leadership(1).
Inventory: 1000 coins
 <#124> 'Infantry' 100 Men.  Skills: Tactics(1), Rifleman(1).  Inventory:
80 combat rifles
        (equipped), 20 sniper rifles (equipped),
 Actions: Patrolling (12,7).

Locations:
(12,7)
 Units:
 <#325> 'Tank Platoon 1'
 <#117> 'Leader'
 <#124> 'Infantry'
 Buildings:
 <#19> 'Base' Headquarters lvl 1.
 <#21> 'Armory' Armory lvl 1.
 <#29> 'Gym' Training lvl 1.
---End Turn File for Player 1---

This shows that player 1 has a unit of 10 manned tanks that appear to have
been involved in a battle recently that returned to his home map-square
this turn.  It is piloted by 10 men with the neccessary skills (you could
alternately have 10 level 2 drivers and 10 level 2 navigators, but that
isnt viable at this early stage of the game for this player), and each tank
has a gunner.  All the men are stationed inside the tanks.  The tanks are
now patrolling the home square.

He also has 100 infantry (anything within ''s indicates a name assigned by
the player.  this might not make it into the game at the early stages)
which are basically trained riflemen with guns for all.  These men are led
(indicated by indentation) by 1 man trained in tactics, stealth, and
leadership, the benefits of which all men following him recieve in part
(effective tactics of each of his 100 followers would be close to 1.1
depending on the math i choose to use).  He is trained in more than 2 total
skill levels which means that his upkeep (turnly paid wages) will be higher
than that of the normal men (the increase is exponential, so specialization
is encouraged).

The 3 buildings each have effects, either on the location itself or the men
in it.  The headquarters increases the income of the player and the range
to which he can control his units (which in turn limits the amount of men
he can control and the distance he can expand).  The Armory allows the
player to buy (there is a global market) more advanced rifles (hence his
possession of sniper rifles).  The training building allows his men to
study more advanced skills, or mundane skills to higher levels.  All
buildings provide more or better benefits if their level is increased.

I consider adding a 'data' file to be sent to each player at the start of
the game that would define all of the unit and building names.  This would
allow for the GM to modify it and send it out.  Turn tanks into Catapults,
men into Grunts, headquarters into Town Hall, etc, and tada, you have a
warcraft-ish setting.  Futuristic would be just as easy to do.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Lamentations?  Jokes?

--
Bill Risher        Sparr      UIN:1952775    ._, . . .
Lorenai #44        Makra      FON:9316484164 |_) o | |