The Repulsive Design of the 89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Repulsive Design of the 89

Does anyone else find the unnecessary 'curviness' of the 89 case repulsive?
This applies to all the newer TI calcs. What is wrong with straight lines? I
especially dont' like the curved bottom. If you want to prop the 89 up,
there's no flat surface to rest on. And why? And how about the meaningless
dip in the display area below the menu keys? What is that for? And why have
that whole dark area around the display? To show that the display is
different from the rest of the calc? We can see that already, don't need it
shoved down our throats.The 81-82-85 cases were simpler, less distracting.
So they wanted to change something for the new series, but not all change is
good. There are three principles at work : creation, preservation, and
destruction. change exists in the first and the last, but often change for
the sake of change is just destruction. It is only controlled, purposeful
change that gives rise to creation.  And once something is created, if it's
good you don't change it, you preserve it.  So in my opinion if something is
to be changed it must have a PURPOSE. Let me state it this way:

                      1. Change for the sake of change = destruction.

                      2. Change with purpose and utility = creation.

That is, each change must justify itself by providing something other than
itself alone.  If this is done then by definition creation has taken place.
   If however the change provides nothing but the change itself, then by
definition the only thing that has happened is the destruction of that which
was changed.