Re: What is the purpose of the LED?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What is the purpose of the LED?

K. Smith <kdsmith@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
: I mean other than the obvious--it lights up.  Is it supposed to be
: sticking out of a (cut) hole on the adapter or inside it (for some
: reason).  Kind of silly, if you think about it, as most serial ports
: are located at the back of the computer where (dust bunnies
: notwithstanding) nobody looks.

It is used as a cheap simple voltage regulator.  An LED normally has
about a 2V voltage drop and the designer of the serial link used that.
BTW that link is a great peice of work!  Gotta be the simplest
TTL<->RS232 converter I have ever seen.

: Mine doesn't even light up.  Of course, my serial cable has yet to

It should light up.  I drilled a hole in the connector shell so it
acts as a power light.  But then again I have it on the end of an
extension cable (My computer is on the floor)

--
Shawn D'Alimonte - sdalimon@ee.ryerson.ca
-----Under university lab conditions, the laws of nature do not apply-----