Re: TI-89 and AP Test

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-89 and AP Test

When I taught Statistics at the University of Texas at Dallas back in
the mid to late 70s, I permitted the use of calculators on tests. In
fact, I told the students that they would *need* one for the final. I
told them that all work must be shown. That short circuited those who
had calculators which would do linear regression etc, because they
would have no work to show. But in any case, the tests were designed to
test student's mastery of Statistics, not computation. When I taught
Calculus, I did not even have to prohibit calculators. The tests were
such that a calculator would not have been a help, and the students
didn't even try to use them. Answers were expected to be *correct*. If
I asked a question which resulted in the answer sqrt(2), first I would
not accept 1.414 (incorrect answer), and second, a calculator wouldn't
help anyway, since only at the *end* would it show that the result was
sqrt(2), and who would ever punch that up on a calculator to find out
its numerical value for a *calculus* test? It would just be *extra*
effort (engineers always complain that mathematicians hide behind an
integral sign and call it a solution; *they* want numbers!). The hard
part was deciding whether to integrate or differentiate, performing the
operation, and then doing some trig or algebraic manipulations to get
solutions.

That said, however, I must also point out that calculators these days
are getting to where they can perform algebraic, trig, and even some
calculus operations. These I would forbid in a calculus class. Though
not in a stat class. I would probably forbid them in a Stat Theory
class, however. With these the questions are usually something like
"Find the Maximum Liklihood Estimator for <something>. Devise a test for
<blah> using this MLE. Show that your test is Uniformly Most Powerful."

Finding the MLE might be done on a calculator of that sort, which I
would prohibit.

Mike

In article <36E1A1E8.45B2@hotmail.com>,