Re: Which TI should I get?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I get?

<<FCTR, BTW, is part of the ALG48 package - not my own program.>>
Is it programmed in Assembly, or Basic? (I'm STILL looking for someone
competent enough in Z80 ASM to convert PRIME6 to assembler.) Those look to me
like assembler times. No way in HELL can any sort of Basic factor 314159*55511
that fast.
<<I don't think it's very fast - I realize though that it's because of the
poor precission of the TI-85.>>
Wrong. I know the workings of my program infinitely better than you do, and I
can tell you that's not the cause at all. The main bottleneck is the speed of
the TI-85's Basic code. Precision doesn't affect NOTHING. (Floating point
divides are used, but I don't care about the remainder. Precision almost NEVER
slows anything down! Except when lots of digits have to be manipulated. Think
of it this way: precision is responsible for a lot of program screwups, but not
for slowdowns.) All I do is a simple divisibility test. Precision has no effect
on the program, except to limit the numbers being tested to 14 digits.
And, TI-92s are slower than TI-85s - that's BCD numbers for you. However, the
TI-92+'s Factor( and Isprime( code is blazingly fast (the results of
assembler). I'm sure if those codes were transferred to the 85 (in Z80) and
made to work with normal binary numbers, they would squash the HP flat.

Looky! New signature! Now TomG can't ever get through with his annoying E-mail:
--------
STL137@aol.com  ~  http://137.tsx.org  ~  http://quote.cjb.net
I block all unapproved E-mail. If you wish to talk to me, post to
alt.test.9 with the subject "Moo" and your E-mail address in the
body. I will allow you as soon as I sign on next.