Re: HP48 vs TI86 , TI89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs TI86 , TI89

Ok, here's the deal.  Without any external modification, no extra
programs, etc, the TI-89 consistantly performs every calculation more
quickly, and displays the result symbolically.  The HP is a reliable
workhorse, and will probably continue to be used for some time.

The question really comes down to what do you want?  The HP uses RPN,
and you have to learn the format of the output of the machine as well as
the input.  The TI will take everything algebraicly, and give you
everything algebraicly.  Thus it's easier to 'pick it up and use it' for
the easier functions, because that's how we teach our children math.
The HP can be upgraded to well over ten times the amount of memory of
the TI.  It also has an infrared link, which is less likely to be broken
as the mechanical link of the TI.  The 89 has a higher resolution than
the HP.  The HP gives you more access to build hardware for it.

So, given that you probably don't know what you want, find someone who
has the HP, and borrow it for a day.  Use it for as many calculations as
you can, and really try to learn how it works.  Then do the same for the
TI.

Remember that the TI has just come out in the last six months.  If you
need a well-developed platform, you may wan to hp - but it's almost
certian that the TI-89 will surpass it in the future in many, but not
all, areas.  In some areas it is already superior.

I'm not going to tell you what to get.  You have different needs than I
do.  Most people's calculator decisions are based on their education
institution's use of the calc.  Mine uses TI, though a lower model than
the one I use.

I hope that this helps!

-Adam