Re: product code

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: product code

----- Original Message -----
From: Olivier Turcotte
To: CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 1999 11:48 AM
Subject: product code

Hi
I have a ti89 and I wanna know if its a good idea to upgrade it to advanced mathematic operating system 2.03...
I heard it would give my calculator a big boost of memory... how is it possible?

From http://www.ti.com/calc/flash/89.htm:

"Version 2.03 also re-apportions calculator memory, providing a total of 702K bytes for Calculator Software applications and user data archive plus 188K bytes of RAM.

"Note: Installing the Advanced Mathematics Software from another TI-89 will take approximately 1/4 of the time required to install it from a computer. "

From http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/89.htm:

"Contains about 188K user-available RAM and 384K of user data archive for storing functions, programs, and data. Advanced Mathematics Software 2.03 enables 702K of Flash ROM for calculator software applications and user data archive."

I can't find anywhere (including my 89 MEM screen) where it says how much TOTAL memory an 89 has. It IS hard to believe that you wind up with so much more usable memory BUT ... (continued below)

What are the pros and cons 'bout changing of OS?
(pro:) ... they DID figure out a new memory design since the original release and maybe it's just a LOT more efficient.

(con?) I've upgraded a modem and wound up having to flash back to the previous version because the speakerphone software became unreliable with the new flash version, BUT that was a multifunction PC component made to (hopefully) work in a variety of PCs and the 89 is a standalone product.

Do it. I'm gonna do it, right now. You wouldn't want to flash back, even if you could.

Believe me, if there were ANY problems with doing so, they'd have already come up on this list! And if problems DO come up, TI will fix them.

Of course, it IS possible that SOMEthing will not work EXACTLY like it used to and while TI likes it, YOU may not.

So now I wonder if you COULD flash back to 1.03... I doubt it, unless one of the TI hacker pages has figured out how to save an old version, and I'd think TI would guard against the likelihood of this!

Still, I'm gonna do it. Thanks for "urging" me!

Dave Slomer
Greenhills, OH
davidslomer@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8692/