Re: Question about TI-83+

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about TI-83+

<<     I must say (with no hatred or disgust in my voice) that iMacs
shouldn't be
sold at all, they are sorry excuses for computers, and the do less then my old
beat up batteryless TI-80. >>

First, you're assuming it's targeted at a general-audience;  wrong.  The iMac
is targeted for first-time newbies who want to screw around on the net and
write letters to their grand kids.  Even so, for $1199 plus whatever
converters you may need(adb, scsi, serial, each about $50) you can get a
333MHz computer with a nice screen that is completely usable for almost
anyone's needs.  If you need a floppy, get one;  if you don't you save $50 or
so.  Besides changing the monitor, an iMac and the appropriate add-ons can do
almost anything an older beige G3 could.  If it can't do what you want, get a
G3 minitower starting @ $1599.  Don't bias the list with your ignorance;  if
you want to argue the iMac is useless at least use FACTS and not opinions,
and do it on a list which it would be vaguely on topic.  I wouldn't buy one
either, but I could work just as well with one(other than trying to read
1024x768 on a 15") than my Yosemite tower.  If TI would ever get off their
asses there would be a USB GraphLink and they would update the 83 software
once in a while(there's finally a decent version for 86/89/92/70).  Until
then  a serial converter and the current mediocre software works well enough.

Also, Re: the bundle/don't bundle the Graphlink (non) issue:  Let's look at 3
customers, A, B, and C.  A is a computer illiterate student, B is a normal
computer user, and C is a Yosemite G3 or iMac user.  A doesn't want to spend
$30 for a cable he doesn't need(if the cable was bundled the price of all the
calcs would obviously go up the same amount, they're not going to give them
away for free).  B probably wants the cable, and C either wants a USB version
of the cable or doesn't want it at all.  How do we please all these people?
By selling the calc and cable separately.  That way no one wastes money on
cables they don't need(the worst case would be the iMac user because he gets
a serial cable and still has to buy the USB one), and no one looses anything
by having to go through the tremendous effort of moving 5 feet over to pick
up a box with the GraphLink they need in it.  Now what is wrong with that?
Who looses if it's bundled?(A and C)  Who loses if it isn't(nobody, except
the *huge* waste of energy on B's part)