Re: Ti 85 question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti 85 question

>When an 85 does (sin ^-1) on a number > 1 it gives (1.57079632679, and a
>negative number)
>
>Am I correct to assume that there should not be a sin of a number > 1,
>because that angle shouldn't exist?  Or am I missing something somewhere.

On a complex plane, the angle does exist.  It's just complex.  Your TI-85
understands this, and since it can handle complex numbers, it gives you the
sign of this complex angle.

The sin(x) function is merely a special taylor series.  Taylor series' can work
with both real and complex numbers, and since the 85 handles them, it will
compute the equivalent taylor series for a complex number.

Hope it helps,
Jeremy