Re: important

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: important

Ken R. wrote:

> i know what virus it is
> thats what my virus program said it was
> also if you read the discription it said " it is possible that you will
> encounter a variant of this virus"
> and i know when it is a virus when my virus program says "a virus has
> been detected"
>
> >Date:         Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:56:36 -0230
> >From:         David Critch <davidcritch@ROADRUNNER.NF.NET>
> >Subject:      Re: important
> >To:           CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
> >
> >Ken R. wrote:
> >
> >> yesterday i apperently got a virus(windows CIH virus) that infected
> all
> >> of my exe files so i had to reformat
> >> this virus makes your comp a "slave" the person can control you when
> >> ever you are online so this person can litraly can do anything with
> your
> >> comp
> >> I may have picked this up at ticalc.org so would u all mind scanning
> you
> >> hard drive with a virus program
> >>
> >> p.s.if you sent me anything resend it it was deleted
> >>
> >> here is a description:
> >> This virus is known to infect device drivers, but unknown variants
> may
> >> infect other items as well.
> >>
> >> This virus has been reported to be 'in the wild'.
> >>
> >> CLEANING INFORMATION:
> >> Before cleaning or restoring, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to boot from a
> >> clean, write-protected system diskette first! This is necessary to
> >> ensure that no viruses are active in memory, and to reduce the risk
> that
> >> you execute an infected file by accident.
> >>
> >> As new variants of existing viruses appear almost daily, it is
> possible
> >> that you will encounter a variant of this virus which will still be
> >> identified by our scanner, but behaves differently than described
> above.
> >> The information above is therefore intended as a basic guideline.
> >>

> >You got your virii mixed up there. CiH infects all your .exe's in
> >C:\Windows\ and on the 26th of every month it activates it self and
> erases
> >your BIOS. BO, or Back Orifice, is a trojan horse virus. However, u
> have to
> >run the server installer for it to take affect. Then someone can take
> >control of your puter. But like I said, u have to run the server
> program
> >first. So more than likely, u just got CiH, if u actually got a virus
> in the
> >first place.

I don't want to start a big arguement with you, but I will say this. CiH,
and all it's variants, do the same thing. Infect all your exe's in
C:\Windows\ and erase your BIOS. The differances between the variants is
that some erase your BIOS every month on the 26th, while others only on
certain ones. It has nothing to do with outside people taking control of
your 'puter, like I said before. BO does that. One other thing, what makes
you so sure you got it from ticalc.org? You wouldn't be trying to discourage
people from downloading from there would you? *shrug*.