Re: TI-89 virtue email needed

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-89 virtue email needed

Just two comments:
First:
"Suppose you were stuck on a deserted desert island with no running water,
no electricity, not even cable TV and you had to calculate the square root
86 to four significant digits. To make matters worse your calculator
batteries just wore out. What would you do then?"
Honestly, I heard something like this the other day in school.

Second:
The mastery of a " pencil and paper" algorithm in no way implies the mastery of
the concept the subject this same " pencil and paper" algorithm is applied to.
My education students come to my classes knowing how to divide fractions
but can not give one example how this can be applied nor can they explain
why the inversion of the second fraction is required in the division
algorithm. (It's required only in some algorithms.)

Good Luck

G Wardall