Re: TI-89 vs. TI-86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-89 vs. TI-86

Calculus has relatively few concepts that  really give students problems.
Why do so many students have trouble with calculus then? In a word,
Algebra. At least that has been my experience in my calculus classes.
Students that have had trouble with algebra in the past and have not really
mastered it have trouble with calculus too.
Calculus is like a flower growing in a garden and algebra is like the
weeds. If the weeds are not kept under control the beauty of the flower
will never be observed.
The TI-89 is a much better weed, I mean, algebra whacker that the TI-86 is.

For the TI-86, TI has provided some very good statistical and financial
programs free for the downloading. The documentation, free also for the
downloading, is quite good.

Some teachers may not allow the TI-89 but will allow the TI-86 on tests.

If I were a calculus student again I would get the TI-89 and hope to heck
my teacher
would allow it. If it turns out my teacher doesn't allow it I would look
for a new teacher.
If that's not possible. I would do what the teacher requires in class and
learn to apply the TI-89 outside of class. One must be practical.

Good Luck

G. Wardall