Re: Finger Power

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Finger Power

Actually, among  the food batteries, the banana worked best!  Sugar water worked
better than salt water or vinegar.  The project that my daughter did was in part
to test which of a select few metals worked best with a select few electrolytes.
To make a battery of this type you need some piece of fruit--we started with
lemons.  You need a pieces of two different kinds of metal; copper wire works
well along with a steel or aluminum nail.  (You could also force a penny and a
nickle into the fruit.)  You need to complete the circuit with a wire connecting
the two electrodes.  If you want to see what is happening, make a voltage meter
part of the circuit.  You could also use a small xmas tree bulb in a very dark
room.  Just for fun, you can use your mouth for the electrolyte--no kidding.  Of
course you add NO external current.  It's easy, fun and makes the point. --gotta
run, D

--

Douglas S. Oliver
Department of Anthropology