SHOCK HORROR - some people accept MONEY for programming.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SHOCK HORROR - some people accept MONEY for programming.

In article <CALC-TI%1998062401053507@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>, Ray Kremer
<raykremer@HOTMAIL.COM> writes

[snip argument for freeware - cogent, but I'm not buying it]

As I've said before, in this thread: Whatever.

Some points, (some that I've made previously.)

First, there's plenty of high-priced commercial software available for
the HP48, and it sells. Why should commercial software be available for
HP, but not TI?

Second, whatever your opinion of the TI machines (and it certainly ain't
no Cray, just as you say), well, my customers keep coming back. That's
all that counts. I sell locally to contractor's engineers/surveyors as a
sideline (I work as a freelance site engineer) and I've shifted just
short of 200 copies (Casio and later TI) in NI (pop 1.5m - small market)
in the ten years since I started, at #149 (about $225 US?) a pop without
any significant marketing effort.

These guys are professionals, not airheads. They're not buying a calc,
or a software package. They're spending chump change for a gadget that
speeds up and simplifies their jobs. In an industry where a million-
pound job is a tiddler, that makes sense. They find it performs as
advertised, and they're happy to stump up for the product.

The original poster, Paliser@aol.com, has been in touch with me, and he
tells me he has a very similar opportunity, in his (different)
engineering discipline, to sell his software. And why wouldn't you wish
him the best of success? I certainly do.

And for all those KewlGamezDoodz out there who have responded along the
lines of "Hey man, commercial programs? Not cool. Make money selling a
program? Never happen, man", well, head on back to playing Penguins at
the back of the maths class. I know different.

--

Stuart Dawson            Dawson Engineering
sd@dawson-eng.demon.co.uk
http://www.dawson-eng.demon.co.uk/
Belfast, Northern Ireland   +44 1232 640669