Re: Significative numbers - possible solution

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Significative numbers - possible solution

only problem with that (if I'm understanding you correctly) is the decimal
doesnt necesarily lead to the # of sig figs...
123.45 has 5 sig figs
123.00 also has 5
123 has 3
0.00001 has 1
0.01001 has 4

Another problem you run into is with a number like
90000
There is no way to tell how many sig figs there are, unless its written in
scientific notation.. eg. 9x10^4 has 1 sig fig 9.000x10^4 has 4, even though
the two numbers are mathmatically the same.   Maybe that is part of the
solution... writing everything in scientific notation since you only write
what is significant..
Matt

>Here's my idea:
>Have the calc display the variable in the graph screen, it pxl_tests until
>it finds the decimal pt., then it counts the # of digits the input has.  It
>just might work.

Follow-Ups: References: