Re: 92/89s on tests

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 92/89s on tests

Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> Agreed in every aspect except for one thing...speed.  Take one entire day
> in class without your calculator.  Can you make it completely through w/o
> embarassment?  If you can, then you should be allowed to use it because you
> aren't calculator dependent.  If you can't then you need practice because
> you won't always have access to that big block every day on the job.  That
> is what I believe should be done...none of this wishy, washy stuff about
> qwerty keypads.  The question should be, are you a vegetable or are you
> capable of treating technology with respect.

Embarassment is relative.  What is embarassing for me may or may not be
embarassing for you.  In my opinion, determining if a person is calculator
dependent or not is more wishy washy than just banning all calcs with QWERTY
keyboards.

> However, if it deals with tables, it's generally a good idea to use the
> calculator.  Why?  You try to figure out the sin^-1 .67583023 to the
> 10,000ths place by hand or by memory (not using any books of tables
> either).  There is no way to do it.  Books of tables are slow and tedious
> (and waste trees), so use a calculator for necessary stuff like that.
> Otherwise, you should be able to calculate everything else by hand.

Ok, lets sit down and determine what things we can morally use calculators for
and what we can't.  Really, either we should trash calculators all together or
use them whenever we want to.

--
Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
   File Archives, HTML, and Support