Re: Ti-86 Math Programs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti-86 Math Programs

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:45:56 -0500 RWW Taylor <RWTNTS@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU>
>Is there a moral here?  The TI-86 (and the TI-83 and all
>the other junior cousins) can do some great mathematics.
>However, you don't need (or normally even want) a
>_program_  to hold your hand -- the work is usually best
>done on the home screen, entering commands directly
>(or using built-in dialogues).  Much like using a scratch
>pad for throw-away calculations. Everyone asks about programs
>to solve quadratic equations, for example.  I teach my
>students that once they have the coefficients entered
>formally into the calculator memory in some form (as
>constants A, B and C, or as a list, or whatever) then
>directly asking about the discriminant and the roots
>with a few keystrokes (recalling the formula, of course)
>is really the right way to develop the numerical roots.
>Or use a graph or solver or whatever.  But don't say
>"Who's got a program?", because then you are not taking
>control of the situation yourself but depending on
>some non-standard resource of chancy general availability.

i think his point is.. he wants a program for like   TRIG LAWS...  law of
cosines, sines.. a program with lots of built in equations.. like
geometry stuff.. area.. etc..etc...

heck i don't wanna do  law of cosines.. and sines.. doing sins.. cos..
then storing the number then typing another crap on the home screen etc..
.. instead i like punching a program, pick SAS (side angle side) then
plugin the number and press enter and bam.. i get the answer nice and
quick..

and hehe.. i think you were THINKING TOO much for an answer.. (3
PARAGRAPHS???)
---
-nXt
   nxt@geocities.com     http://nxt.home.ml.org  OR: