Re: Ti-86 Math Programs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti-86 Math Programs

Philippe Cheng  <roissy@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> writes

>  Hi,
>  I have a Ti-86 and am wondering where i might find info
>  regarding which math programs for it are any good.
>  I have loaded a couple dozen math programs on my
>   calc, but most of them seem to do the same things...
>  So i'm looking for reviews saying which are usefull
>  and which should be deleted..
>  Thanks

Is there a moral here?  The TI-86 (and the TI-83 and all
the other junior cousins) can do some great mathematics.
However, you don't need (or normally even want) a
_program_  to hold your hand -- the work is usually best
done on the home screen, entering commands directly
(or using built-in dialogues).  Much like using a scratch
pad for throw-away calculations. Everyone asks about programs
to solve quadratic equations, for example.  I teach my
students that once they have the coefficients entered
formally into the calculator memory in some form (as
constants A, B and C, or as a list, or whatever) then
directly asking about the discriminant and the roots
with a few keystrokes (recalling the formula, of course)
is really the right way to develop the numerical roots.
Or use a graph or solver or whatever.  But don't say
"Who's got a program?", because then you are not taking
control of the situation yourself but depending on
some non-standard resource of chancy general availability.

A situation where you _do_ want to have a program is
where you will need, over an extended period of time, to
perform the same calculation on numerous different
examples (say working in a lab).  Or some common facility.
like simplifying a radical expression.  Ideally this ought
to be available as a "plug-in" or "filter", as a subroutine.
You can set this sort of thing up easily on the TI-92,
but the TI-8x environment hasn't reached this degree
of sophistication.

What seems to be missing -- the hunger that seems to
lie behind the search for mathematics-related programs
for the TI-86, etc. -- is programs in the _non-computer_
sense.  That is, plans of action, guidance for how to
enter commands to do useful things, and so forth, that
could be shared electronically.  This sort of capability
is available for the TI-92 through the _script_ feature,
and I would expect people to be exchanging more
mathematics-related scripts in this arena. (Hmm, why
then haven't _I_ contributed any?  Good question!).
In general, people have not yet moved up to using
TI-92's very widely in the classroom (equity issues) and
haven't as yet given as much thought to developing
useful programs/scripts for this application.

What to do if you have a TI-86? (That was the question
asked, after all).  There have been lots of interesting
ideas that have gone by on this list (in between the
less-helpful postings), and probably many people beside
myself have saved the postings to jog our recollections.
I think there is room for a half-dozen or so books
that would just present interesting little applications
that one could adapt for one's own needs.  The old
story about giving away fish being a far less worthy
pursuit than sharing the skills to pull in your own
catch, right?

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623