Re: TI-86 <REAL> conflicts, pff, BASIC progs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-86 <REAL> conflicts, pff, BASIC progs

> BASIC PROGRAMMERS, USE UNIQUE TERMS FOR THOSE TEMPORARY FILES (REAL).

While this may sound like a good idea, I don't think it would work very
well.
First, I name important variables weird names, ie "zzzzPOLY", something
no one else would name a variable. That keeps them relatively safe. I do
use "simple" names like A,B,C,D for temporary things. Why?
Think of it this way: If every one who wanted to temporarily store user
input before do ing something important with it had to make up a new name,
your calculator's memory would quickly fill up with one-time-used
variables, each taking a minimum of 17 bytes.
Secondly, I doubt that every Basic programmer will bow to your whims. ;)
I suggest you write a program that stores the variables back to your
original values. You could do it in Basic, if you don't mind that the
variables would be (real) instead of (cons), but with your handy program,
why would they need to be constants?

Anyhow, it was a noble idea.
                                -keith

Follow-Ups: References: