Wanna be Emulator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wanna be Emulator

Hello,

I have put enough fruitless hours into trying to get an TI 85 emulator to
work to where I'm not beyond embarrassing myself world wide by confessing,
&#^%(*#&^)!!!!!!!!!!

For the TI-85, I've got the relevant files from

"Z80 core based on Amstrad Emulator by Bernd Schmidt
(crux@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de)

TI-85 emulation by (sorted by last name):
 David Ellsworth (davidells@aol.com)
 Ilya Haykinson (haykinso@ucla.edu)
 Dines Justesen (c958362@student.dtu.dk)
 Robert Taylor (rtaylor@rtaylor.u-net.com)"

Is this the real deal?  I've gone through contortions trying trying to "dump
rom" but when I run the TI95.exe file that comes with the emulator, it says
simply "error opening file" - whether I launch from ms-dos or Win'95.

After wading through credits and history enough to make the thing seem real,
these instructions are offered in the doc file accompanying ti85.exe:

"Startup instructions

Upon startup, this emulator will try to load a backup file. If you did not
specify one at the command line, it will be TI85.IMG. If it cannot find this
file, it memory will be initialized. You'll get the message "Mem
cleared/Defaults set", and a checkerboard cursor. Press the [ON] key
(backslash)."

Well, "error opening file," so hurry to the "dumprom" business and there we
find the following glorious instructions:

"TI-85 ROM dump and disassembly batch.

1) Make memory backup of your calculator.
2) Load dump_rom.85b into your TI.
3) From the custom menu choose which ROM page to dump.
4) Make memory backup and name it page0.85b ... page7.85b.
5) In the same directory where pageX.85b files are located
   make DZ80 dir and put there Z80 disassembler.
6) Run the dump_it.bat file.

The result of all this will be page0.asm ... page7.asm files."

Well, I was able to do that, but still "Error opening file"  I've heard
people praise this emulator thing as "imitation: sincerest form of flattery"
- but, shucks.

Geoff H

Follow-Ups: References: