Re: Calculus problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculus problem

The integral of sin(3x^2) certainly exists (every continuous function is
integrable), but is not an elementary function.

It has been proved that the integrals of the functions e^(-x^2), sin(x^2), and
cos(x^2) are not elementary functions. On the other hand, these functions come
up very often in applications, and special names have been created for them.
In particular,

FresnelS(x):=integral(sin(pi*t^2/2),t,0,x);
FresnelC(x):=integral(cos(pi*t^2/2),t,0,x);
Erf(x):=sqrt(2/pi)*integaral(e^(-t^2/2),t,0,x);

All these functions have been tabulated, the same way as sin, cos, log, tan.
With computers and programming calulators, the integrals can be computed
numerically.

Greetings,

Erika