Re: TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Niklas Brunlid wrote:
) On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 06:28:16 -0500, Ben Sultenfuss
) <bsultenfuss@SFASU.EDU> wrote:
) >>         What do you suppose would happen to the poor kid who loses his TI-92
) >in
) >> a world you're proposing?  He wouldn't even know what the hell x^2
) >> equals if x=2.  Maybe that's a bit drastic, but damn.. you have to see
) >> the point here.
/* snip */

) >Why, when we drive cars and no longer need horses,
) >do we continue to teach students how to shovel out the stalls.
) No, but we have to show that we know why and how a car works before we
) even get permission to drive on our own...
Uhm, well, mayhaps you do, but all I have to do to get my learners permit
in the State of New York (USA) is to pass a five question test that
literally ask me to identify which picture represents a "Stop" sign, and
other such questions that are so simple you are instantly labelled a fool
if you get less than perfect on it... poor Lauren Pomerantz... heh
To get an actual drivers' license, I'd have to posses a learner's permit
and pass a road test where I demonstrate my ability to parallel park :P
There are other things such as showing proof of identity, proof of age,
passing an eye exam, etc... but nothing about knowing the inner workings
of an automobile.

--
Daniel Reed <n@narnia.n.ml.org>
System administrator of narnia.n.ml.org (narnia.mhv.net [199.0.0.118])

Follow-Ups: References: